And this is official as well.
Apple just announced a whole new Apple Watch.
“I am so excited and so proud to share it with you this morning. It is the next chapter in Apple’s story. And here it is.” – Tim Cook.
As the announcement is ongoing at Cupertino, here’s what we know about the new devices so far:
- Apple Watch makes sure that the time-keeping capability of a watch is not lost – accurate within plus or minus 50 milliseconds.
- Tim: What we didn’t do is take the iPhone and strap it on your wrist. The display is too small it would be a terrible customer experience.
- Gorgeous look, and seems to come in various colours.
- The watch senses you are raising your wrist, and activates the screen.
- New user interface: The Apple Watch includes a “digital crown” – You can use it to scroll through a list or zoom in on a map.
- Comes in two sizes.
- Six different straps that are easy to switch out. A sport band is sweat resistant, a metal mesh band has a magnetic clasp.
- Apple Watch works with 5 different iPhones – iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus.
- Watch face can be customized for its functionality and appearance.
- Home screen is zoomable and can be moved around. Clock face can be customized from the classic mickey mouse clock or analog or digital, colours are changeable.
- Replies on Apple Watch: you can reply with Quick Words. It analyzes the text and populates buttons that you might want to use to reply. You can reply with animated emojis made specifically for Apple Watch.
- Digital touch: Tap on your friend to phone, send message. Touch the center and you can draw or tap. Tap and the other person can feel it, almost like someone is literally tapping on your wrist. You can draw pictures on the screen and they can see it what you are drawing on your Watch. You can also share your heart beat.
- Future development: Hotels will let you open your room door with your Apple Watch. Now piloting with Starwoods Hotel.
- Future development for Apple Watch: Unlock your room door, locate your car in the parking lot, challenge your friends to a run and much more.
- Apple Watch can be used as a walkie talkie, as well as a viewfinder for iPhone camera.
- Apple Watch will measure how long you stand, exercise, even remind you to.
- Apple Watch at $349, available “early next year”. No concrete dates announced.
- Apple Watch works with Apple Pay. Can be used to pay for products thanks to NFC chip.
Here are the photos we took from the main event which is ongoing now:
To get a full overview of the new Apple Watch and our take on it’s release, also read: Apple Watch Is Still A Watch, But Opens New Doors To The Future Of Wearables