In this article

With the Covid-19 situation, the job market has seen a downward spiral and graduates are having a tough time securing a job.

Thanks to a new $100 million traineeship programme, recent and fresh graduates in Singapore can apply to more than 4,000 job opportunities from June 1.

More than 280 companies in the private and public sectors will offer these positions, including Singtel, DBS Bank, Surbana Jurong, National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University.

Singtel in particular, will offer more than 500 traineeships in functions such as engineering, finance, communications and marketing, where trainees will complete four- to 12-month stints.

Announced by Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat last month, the SGUnited Traineeships Programme will offer up to 8,000 traineeship opportunities across various sectors for recent graduates from Institute of Technical Education (ITE), polytechnics, universities and other educational institutions this year.

Traineeships will last up to 12 months and trainees will receive a training allowance for the duration of the traineeship, which is co-funded by the Government and the host company.

80% Of The Training Allowance Will Be Funded By Gov’t

The Government will fund 80% of the training allowance, while the host company funds the remaining 20%.

The monthly training allowance provided to each trainee may vary depending on the Traineeship Scope, based on traineeship requirements seen below:

Required qualifications or their equivalents University degree or above Polytechnic diploma or professional qualifications ITE or equivalent
Estimated Monthly Training Allowance1$1,800 – $2,500$1,300 – $1,800$1,100 – $1,500

1The estimated monthly training allowance for each qualification is pegged to 50-70% of median starting salaries.

To be eligible, trainees must be Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents who have graduated or are graduating in calendar year 2019 or 2020 from ITE, Polytechnics, Universities, or other educational institutions (e.g. private universities and overseas institutions).

Young men who graduated earlier but completed National Service in 2019 or 2020 may also apply. 

“We are heartened that despite difficult business conditions during the COVID-19 outbreak, many firms, large and small, have stepped forward to join the SGUnited Traineeships Programme,” said WSG Chief Executive Tan Choon Shian.

“With these firms participating as hosting companies, our fresh graduates will be able to use this traineeship period to prepare themselves for the eventual recovery, and we can be better assured that our Singapore workforce will remain resilient, robust and ready to rebound.”

Eligible jobseekers who are keen to apply for SGUnited Traineeships can visit MyCareersFuture and search for traineeship opportunities under the hashtag #SGUnitedTraineeships. They may also explore other job opportunities on MyCareersFuture.

NUS To Offer 200 Full-Time Roles, 800 Traineeships

Image Credit: NUS

Singapore’s leading public university, NUS, will offer 200 full-time roles positions and 800 paid traineeships for its graduating students.

The full-time positions would be spread across NUS’ central administration, its 17 faculties and schools, 29 research institutes and centres as well as the National University Health System.

Its traineeship opportunities will last up to 12 months and be split into four tracks: Executive and professional, education, research, and entrepreneurship.

They come with personalised mentorship and development plans, and are open to bachelor’s, master’s and PhD graduates.

NUS added that all trainees may also attend a range of continuing education and training courses for free.

The university also said that graduating students who enrol in its master’s programmes may postpone the payment of course fees, without having to pay interest, for up to three years from enrolment.

Featured Image Credit: SIT-DigiPen (Singapore) graduates / SIT-DigiPen (Singapore)

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay updated with Vulcan Post weekly curated news and updates.


Vulcan Post aims to be the knowledge hub of Singapore and Malaysia.

© 2021 GRVTY Media Pte. Ltd.
(UEN 201431998C.)

Vulcan Post aims to be the knowledge hub of Singapore and Malaysia.

© 2021 GRVTY Media Pte. Ltd.
(UEN 201431998C.)