The next time you go for a meal at the nearby food center in your neighbourhood, all you need to bring along is a NETS FlashPay-enabled card. First introduced back in January 2015, we are one step away from that convenient future with the inclusion of additional food centres adopting NETS FlashPay terminals. This brings a total of 12 food centres, from three previously, with hawkers accepting card transactions.
Here’s a look at the list of the 12 food centers which are ready to receive your NETS FlashPay cards at their stalls.
1. Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre
2. 726 West Coast Market Square
3. Holland Drive Market & Food Centre
4. Holland Village Market & Food Centre
5. Beo Crescent Market & Food Centre
6. 22 A/B Havelock Road Market & Food Centre
7. Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre
8. Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market & Food Centre
9. Hong Lim Market & Food Centre
10. Albert Centre Market & Food Centre
11. Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre
12. 724 Ang Mo Kio Market & Food Centre
While there have been positive reactions about this new mode of payment, there were still concerns raised amongst both hawkers and customers. Experienced hawkers who have been using the system agreed that while they now do not have to prepare change for customers during payment, they still find it troublesome to key in individual amounts into the terminal, and to make sure the value is correct. There was also the problem of machines slowing down, causing holdups in the queue.
For customers, as with the adoption of new payment methods, the transition to go cashless will often be met with some resistance and hassle. Authorities has since installed self-service top-up terminals in food centers so that it is easier for customers. This is to further encourage patrons to go cashless. Consumers also agree that cards are often reserved for use in restaurants and supermarkets, and hawkers appreciated cash more so, as mentioned by Ms C.Y. Tan to The Straits Times.