Earlier this May, Huawei was slapped with a US trade ban, which restricted it from integrating Google apps and services in its new smartphones, starting with its Mate 30 series.
Following the impactful ban, Huawei received a 90-day license extension yesterday, allowing it to continue to do business with American firms.
In a media statement, the Chinese tech giant said that the move “won’t have a substantial impact on Huawei’s business either way” and “does not change the fact that Huawei continues to be treated unfairly either”.
While Huawei’s business in the US remains under threat, Zhang Ping’an, president of Huawei Consumer Cloud Service told The Straits Times last week (Nov 13) that Huawei Mobile Services can “replace 90 per cent of Google Mobile Services by December”.
To add on, Huawei will soon be able to offer Android developers a full range of the essential mobile services required for their apps, like the ones offered by Google.
This means that more Android apps will be able to work on new Huawei phones regardless of the ongoing US trade ban.
According to Zhang, Huawei will have all the essential application programming interface (API) required by developers to make their apps work by the next quarter.
It has set aside a US$1 billion (S$1.36 billion) fund to help developers build apps that integrate with Huawei Mobile Services, as well as to publish and market the apps in its app store.
Huawei will also only charge developers 15 per cent for purchases made by users in AppGallery, in comparison to Google’s 30 per cent.
Featured Image Credit: Reuters