The COVID-19 pandemic has seen many companies impose pay cuts as well as hiring and salary freezes.
The economic is seeing a downturn and many have speculated that we are entering a recession soon. Airlines, hotels, retail and F&B businesses, and even entertainment ventures have taken a massive hit in the recent months, and the situation shows no signs of recovering yet.
Pandemic job insecurity comes with a silver lining: It’s better to see the axe now rather than later because your chances of landing a new gig are highest right now, at least in certain industries.
That said, we’ve compiled a list of some companies in Singapore who are still hiring right now:
COVID-19 sees a spike in e-commerce sales as people increasingly turn to online shopping for their groceries and household essentials while they try to avoid leaving their homes as much as possible.
Amazon is one of the companies that are experiencing a surge in demand and they are hiring quite aggressively — judging from the increase in the number of jobs listed on their LinkedIn profile.
Some open positions at Amazon:
- Marketing Manager
- Product Manager – International Store
- Technical Program Manager
- Supply Chain Program Manager
- Senior Product Manager – Delivery
- Account Executive
Shopping for groceries and other essentials has quickly transformed from the necessary errand people have on their to-do lists to the only outing throughout this period of self-quarantine.
While social distancing has been implemented, this has not stopped shoppers from visiting supermarkets with their masks on. Large supermarkets, including FairPrice, are stepping forward with a need for swift and high headcount.
Don’t pass this off too quickly though because these aren’t only roles for bagging groceries. Instead, supermarkets are looking for support from stocking shelves all the way to managing supply chain logistics, handling public relations, and strategising.
Some open positions at FairPrice:
- Branch Manager/ Executive (Operations)
- Fresh Specialist (Meat/ Seafood)
- Human Resources Business Partner
- Senior Finance Analyst
- Senior Manager (Consumer Branding)
- Executive (Category Assortment & Space Optimisation)
On a side note: Can we take a moment to appreciate the supermarket workers who have been braving the risk of COVID-19 as they work day and night to keep shelves stocked?
Social media app TikTok is all the rage right now, and the COVID-19 quarantine appears to be driving a global TikTok download boom.
The app provides as a mean to stay in touch with friends and find out the latest developments in the battle against the virus. People in Wuhan and Italy have been making TikToks of life in isolation, and are showing the rest of the world what their lives in quarantine are like.
The wave has made its way to Singapore as we see more people jumping onto the bandwagon and connecting with one another through TikTok.
Some open positions at TikTok:
- Product Marketing Manager, TikTok Ads
- Quality Manager of Regional Quality Analysis and Operations, APAC
- Internal Communications Specialist
- Head of Product Policy, Asia
- Global HR Consultant (Compensation and Benefits)
- Partner Marketing Manager, SEA
4. Razer Inc.
People of all age groups are turning to home entertainment and gaming to break the monotony that comes with staying at home. Video-streaming services, mobile games and online gaming platforms have been seeing a surge in demand for them, which in turn sparks a growth in the purchase of home tech gear such as laptops, keyboards and consoles.
Gaming gear company Razer even curated a “Work From Home” series of Razer gear that are perfect for boosting productivity and up your stay-home game.
They also announced that they are going to set up a face mask manufacturing line in Singapore within the next 30 days amid the COVID-19 shortage.
Some open positions at Razer:
- Business System Analyst (Salesforce)
- Industrial Designer
- Razerpay Operations Specialist
- Senior Software Engineer (C++)
- QA Automation Engineer
- SAP Technical Lead
With the COVID-19 outbreak forcing many people to work or study from home, having meals delivered to the doorstep has become a more common practice. In fact, delivery times have lengthened due to the influx of orders.
To cope with this demand, foodpanda is not just hiring for rider positions — they’re also hiring for more corporate roles.
Some open positions at foodpanda:
- Product Designer (Internal Product), APAC
- Operations Analyst, APAC
- Full-stack Software Engineer
- Business Intelligence, APAC
- Back-end Software Engineer (Ops and Wallet), APAC
- Head Of New Services, APAC
With people panic-buying anything from groceries to toiletries, online marketplace Lazada has experienced a spike in bulk buying and large orders through its grocery service RedMart.
RedMart has been coping with the demand for online delivery slots as they see the surge in orders.
Some open positions at Lazada:
- Data Scientist
- Algorithm Engineer
- Business Risk Operations Specialist (Data)
- Category Manager (Digital Goods)
- Senior Manager, Business Intelligence
- Head of Strategic Partnerships
7. Johnson & Johnson
Health is a priority now more than ever, and pharmacies are far from closing their doors. In fact, the influx in health as a priority has sent pharmacies and health companies into a new wave of needed support.
American drugmaker Johnson & Johnson recently announced a US$1 billion deal with the U.S. government to create enough manufacturing capacity to make more than 1 billion doses of a vaccine.
It had selected a lead candidate vaccine for the coronavirus that would move to human trials by September and could be ready for emergency use by early next year. This could mean a breakthrough for J&J that would help propel them to greater heights.
Some open positions at Johnson & Johnson Singapore:
- Assistant Manager, Deliver Quality & Compliance
- Senior Manager, Commercial Insights
- COE Commercial Support Analyst
- Senior Manager, Asia Pacific Commercial Excellence
- Regional Pricing Manager, South East Asia
- Retail Excellence Director, Asia Pacific
Stat board GovTech has received a lot of attention recently in helping to enhance Singaporeans’ lives amid the COVID-19 pandemic. They drive Singapore’s Smart Nation initiative by tackling multi-scale societal problems using technology.
Last month, its team of developers built a site called MaskGoWhere in under 12 hours so Singaporeans can easily find out where to collect masks by just keying in their postal code.
They also developed the new TraceTogether app to track encounters and timestamps whenever users come into close proximity with one another.
Some open positions at GovTech:
- Business Analyst, SAP FI / Workday
- Project Manager, Agile
- Senior Manager/Manager, WOG ICT and Smart Systems Portfolio Management
- Senior Solution Architect (Enterprise System)
- Business Analyst, Business Process Reengineering
- Business Analyst, Data Analytics
9. Integrated Health Information Systems (IHIS)
The demand for HealthTech has been growing in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
To manage the outbreak, the need to mobilise resources productively and enable the delivery of new services efficiently require rapid deployment of technology infrastructure and innovative solutions.
Integrated Health Information Systems (IHiS), the IT arm for public healthcare has been supporting all the public hospitals and Ministry of Health to provide on-site IT support, enable systems and co-design solutions to meet increased patient-loads, and emerging needs since January.
They are currently looking to fill 400 vacancies by end of the year to continue the fight against Covid-19.
Some open positions at IHiS:
- Software Engineers
- Data Scientists
- IT Security Officers and Specialists
- Product Development and Project Management Leads
- Corporate Services Professionals in various fields including recruitment and legal services
Apply For A Job Now
The government has extended financial support to those who have lost their jobs or income due to the pandemic, but it doesn’t mean that we should rest on our laurels and simply rely on government aid.
Take this time to utilise the SkillsFuture credit to upgrade yourself with relevant job skills as a means of future-proofing.
While the job market is doing badly for now, don’t give up hope as many companies are still hiring so keep sending your resumés!
Featured Image Credit: Caixin Global / Razer