National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, who also co-chairs the multi-taskforce ministry, announced today (April 21) that the government will be tightening the list of essential services that will remain open during the ‘circuit breaker’ period.
All standalone food and beverage (F&B) outlets as well as hairdressing and barber shops will have to shut by 11.59pm today.
For the F&B sector, standalone outlets – excluding those in hawker centres, food courts and coffeeshops – that sell only beverages (yes, this means no more bubble tea), packaged snacks, confectioneries or desserts will have to shut down.
From Wednesday (April 22), optician shops can no longer accept walk-in customers, and must operate by appointment only. Pet supply stores and retail laundry services must also shut their physical stores, but may provide online sales and delivery.
This will mean that some businesses will have to suspend on-site activities. MTI said that those affected will be notified and given 24 hours to wind up operations.
Here’s the updated list of essential services that will remain open:
- Health and social services
- Acute hospitals, community hospitals
- Primary care services (i.e. polyclinics and private sector primary care services), dental services, dialysis centres, TCM (adjuvant therapy for cancer and chronic conditions).
- Community care services
- Essential Allied Health Services that cannot be delivered remotely
- Community mental health services, senior befriending, counselling and case management services,
- Supporting services (e.g. blood services, laboratories and radiological services, research related to COVID-19, pharmacies, disease surveillance and response services, medical and patient transport, provision of medical items and personal care items)
- Essential supply chains (e.g. medical wholesale and distribution, mask, PPE, medical supplies and equipment manufacturers, medical gas supply)
- Selected social services to support vulnerable segments of the population
- Selected care services for students such as those in preschools, Student Care Centres and SPED schools (including for children of Essential Services workers)
- Food supply (including supermarkets, convenience stores, grocery retailers, wholesale markets, wet markets)
- Food manufacturing (excluding manufacture of chocolate and chocolate products; manufacture of chips, crackers and other titbits; manufacture of ice-cream; manufacture of cocoa and chocolate powder from beans; manufacture of non-chocolate confectionery and manufacture of cakes and confectionery)
- F&B outlets (for takeaway and delivery orders only) and their supporting operations (including central kitchens) except beverage, packaged snack, confectionery and dessert stores, as well as all F&B outlets in parks (except on Pulau Ubin).
- Food caterers
- Food delivery services
- Food packaging and printing service providers
- Laboratory food safety testing and its supporting services
- Activities pertaining to extension of shelf-life (e.g. retort manufacturing) or manufacturing of ready-to-eat meals
- Electricity generation, transmission, and distribution services, and their Original Manufacturing Equipment (OEM) contractors/ suppliers and equipment/ spare parts/ repair/ maintenance providers
- Gas companies involved in the supply, transmission, and distribution of natural gas and town gas, and their OEM contractors/ suppliers and equipment/ spare parts/ repair/ maintenance providers
- Services relating to the refining, supply, distribution and storage of essential fuel products, and their contractors
- Services for the production of town gas and their contractors
- Bus transport operators for electricity/ gas (natural and town gas) facilities
- Services for the bottling and distribution of cylinder gas
- Petrol kiosks
4. Water, waste, environment
- Potable Water, NEWater and Industrial Water supply, collection and treatment of used water, management of storm water
- Supply of chemicals, equipment, material, spare parts and services to PUB for the above
- Supply of labour for operation and maintenance of process and systems for PUB
- Waste collection and disposal services
- Funeral-related services
- Environmental hygiene monitoring and public cleansing services
- Markets and cooked food centre management
- Vector Control Services (e.g. Pest control, fumigation)
- Pollution Control & Monitoring Services (e.g. Toxic & Biohazardous waste management)
- Meteorological Services
- Radiation Monitoring & Control Services (e.g. maintenance of healthcare related irradiation equipment X-ray, CT scans)
5. Transportation and Storage
- Air traffic control, airport operations, air transport services, runway enhancement and maintenance
- Shipping, shipping-related services, safety and navigation services, port and terminal operations, port marine service
- Provision of public transport services, including key supporting services and suppliers
- Monitoring and management of traffic and road operations
- Taxi and chauffeured private hire car services, and key supporting services and suppliers
- 3rd party logistics providers, residential and commerical movers, freight forwarders, trucking, air express integrators
- Transportation that is necessary to support other Essential Services
- All warehouses and storage services to support other Essential Services
6. Information and Communications
- Telecommunications (Fixed, Mobile and Internet Access), data centres, broadcasting services (radio and television)
- Submarine cable operations
- Postal services, security printing services, publication of newspapers
- ICT support tools, software and services for enterprises and individuals (to enable telecommuting, videoconferencing, e-commerce, finance, and enterprise networks/systems, IT services)
- Cybersecurity in support of other Essential Services and digital economy
- Platforms and services such as ride hailing, food delivery, groceries, and online payments
- Social media and messaging platforms
7. Defence and Security
- Defence and Security firms, supporting firms and establishments protecting buildings and homes
- Development and research projects that support essential services or national security
8. Construction, Facilities Management and Critical Public Infrastructure
- Companies involved in epidemic control (e.g. sanitation, disinfection, cleaning, laundry)
- Defence and Security firms, supporting firms and establishments protecting buildings and homes
- Development project that support essential services or national security
- Selected development projects assessed to be in critical stages of construction and are unable to stop due to potential safety risks
- Construction work in progress for (i) critical public infrastructure, (ii) maintenance and services to ensure public safety, and (iii) emergency repairs & maintenance
- Safety critical works / Projects that support essential services or are necessary for public safety
- Provision of facilities management services for buildings and infrastructure (e.g. plumbing, electrical works, conservancy services)
- Provision of lift and escalator (L&E) maintenance services, and facilities management (FM) services for buildings and infrastructure (e.g. plumbing, electrical works, conservancy services)
- Landscaping for public safety
- Animal-related services for public safety
9. Manufacturing and Distribution
- Manufacturers of essential products (e.g. chemicals and petrochemicals, healthcare supplies, medical equipment, food and food ingredient, or materials needed for other Essential Services) and their suppliers/contractors
- Semiconductor, Pharmaceutical, and Biomedical Science companies and their suppliers
- Marine & Offshore Engineering companies involved in ship/vessel repair, and maintenance and overhaul services; and their contractors
- Aerospace maintenance, repair, overhaul (MRO) companies and their suppliers
- Manufacturing of printing, packaging and pallets to support Food Services, Food Manufacturing and any other Essential Products and Services herein-mentioned
- Distributors of essential products, including food-related items, packaging materials (both food and non-food), household items, personal care products
10. Banking and finance
- Services relating to maintenance of monetary and financial stability
- Currency issuance, services relating to cash management and payments for the Government
- Banking services (e.g. cash withdrawal & deposits, lending and related processing, treasury management, payments and funds transfers)
- Insurance services (e.g. claims servicing, policy renewal and servicing, policy inception, insurance broking, financial advisory)
- Currencies, securities and derivatives trading, clearing, settlement, reporting, and depository and trust, and corporate finance advisory services
- Asset management services (e.g. portfolio management and trading, trade settlement and operations, trustee services, processing of subscriptions and redemptions in fund units, financial advisory)
- Payment services (e.g. fund transfers, credit card and debit card payments)
- Remittance services (excluding money exchange services)
11. Legal services
- Essential and urgent matters specified in the Registrar’s Circulars issued by each court in respect of criminal, civil and family matters wherein during the period 7 April 2020 to 4 May 2020 (both dates inclusive)
- Commercial transactions or actions having statutory, regulatory or contractual deadlines (whether local or foreign) falling within the period 7 April 2020 to 4 May 2020 (both dates inclusive) for which no waiver or deferment has been or will be granted or transactions or actions for which completion is due or time is of the essence in this said period
- Conveyancing transactions with deadlines where time is of the essence or with milestone deadlines to be met within the period 7 Apr 2020 to 4 May 2020 (both dates inclusive) including but not limited to exercise of option and completion deadlines, and timelines affecting progress payments, deposits, monies in escrow and completion monies; and
- Urgent and essential Wills and Probate related services (for example the drafting of wills and execution of lasting powers of attorney for the vulnerable) required within the period 7 April 2020 to 4 May 2020 (both dates inclusive), for which no deferment may be made.
- Selected hotels, serviced apartments, dormitories, hostels
- Online retail and related supply chains
- Optician services and sale of optical products
- Plumbers, electricians, & locksmiths (for emergency household services only)
- Vehicle recovery and repair services. For emergency vehicle services only, no vehicle grooming.
- Hardware stores. For sale of building and maintenance-related equipment and tools only.
- Repair of consumer electronics, IT peripherals, and household appliances
- Laundry services
- Veterinary services. For provision of emergency, non-elective veterinary services, including hospitalization.
- Selected face-to-face Continuing Education & Training (CET)a. For job placement needs or for severely affected economic sectors
- Pet supplies stores (for provision of animal feed, no grooming or leisure activities allowed)a. For provision of animal care, feed and supplies only, no cosmetic/ grooming or leisure activities allowed.
- Private buses
- Testing, inspection and certification centres
- All other critical and ancillary services contracted by the Government for the provision of supporting Government functions or for the above-mentioned Essential Services.
Check out here for a full list.
Featured Image Credit: Timeout