The list of proud victories achieved by Malaysians for 2017 kicks off (geddit?) with Faiz Subri scoring an award on January 9 after his goal was voted the best of 2016 at The Best FIFA Football Awards 2016 ceremony in Zurich, Switzerland. This is a pretty impressive win considering that he is the only Asian to have achieved this so far.
Of course, fellow Malaysians back home have been celebrating this achievement along with him.
The humble athlete had mentioned that he hadn’t seen the win coming so it was a surprise for all. Imagine hearing your name being called in an international award where a famous athlete is waiting to pass your trophy to you and you weren’t emotionally prepared for it?
Yeah, I’d be crapping my pants too.
So after taking a look at the footage of Faiz accepting his award and the speech he gave, this was what I imagined running through his head during the moments when he was announced the winner to his speech.
1) Ni ada orang main bola kat dalam dewan ke tu bunyi jantung aku?
2) Okay, Ronaldo dah sampai depan mic dah. Dewan ni makin sejuk ke tangan aku yang menggigil?
3) Sape pula Mood Faiz Subri ni?
4) EH NAMA AKU LAH!!
5) Okay, jangan nangis. Steady bro. JANGAN NANGIS!
6) Anak aku ni tau ke camera tengah record dia?
7) Betul ke aku menang ni?? Jangan aku kena tipu sudeh.
8) Haish, manager aku ni nak berpeluk sakan pulak. Aku yang patut nangis, bukan kau.
9) Ramainye mat salleh tepuk tangan untuk aku. #Bangga #BiarBetik
10) Kenapa anak aku tak tepuk tangan untuk baba? 🙁
11) Check dulu baju aku, kena nampak macho depan Ronaldo.
12) Sebab ni lah aku nak pakai baju melayu, payah nak kena asyik butang camni.
13) Cristiano Ronaldo tengah pandang aku siotttttt!!
14) Bapak hensem sial Cristiano Ronaldo ni.
15) Ronaldo hat sorang lagi depan aku pulak. EH, RONALDO DEPAN AKU??
16) Awat mat salleh ni sume tinggi2?
17) OMG SERIOUS BETUL WEI, TROFI NI AKU PUNYE LAH!!
18) Okay berat jugak trofi ni. Letak sini dulu lah.
19) Orait, kluarkan phone kejap nak Insta—eh, nak cari speech.
20) Mane pulak aku simpan speech kejadah ni? MANEEEE????
21) Lek la bro, biaq lah aku nak usha whatsapp aku kejap.
22) MANE DOWH??
23) Okay, jumpe pun.
24) Ni asal kecik sangat message ni? SUSAH LAH NAK BACA!
25) Okay, tarik nafas sikit. Jangan pengsan.
26) Tolong lah jangan bagi aku silap sebut nama sape-sape.
27) Sape yang tulis speech ni panjang-panjang?? Penat aku nak baca. Eh lupa, aku yang tulis.
28) Harap bowtie aku ni tak senget, mampus aku kena bahan nanti.
29) Aku lupa sebut management ke tak tadi? Manager pandang aku semacam je.
30) BANYAKNYA FM DALAM SPEECH NI!
31) MAK, TENGOK TV TAK? FAIZ SEBUT NAMA MAK, SATGI MAK INSTA-FEMES!!
32) Huu, beres dah pun. Lega aku.
33) Opps, jangan tertinggal award pulak. Kang ada je orang kat FB hentam aku nanti.
All jokes aside, we couldn’t possibly tell you what was exactly going through his mind as he accepted his first international award but this is our take on it. He might have been a nervous wreck or confident, but we really couldn’t tell.
What I do implore is for Malaysians to continue celebrating his victory and not focus on his delivery. He’s a sportsman, so does his language ability truly matter? His technical skill is what makes him shine. It’s not as if he were a trained orator or politician who is expected to be able to speak at a certain level.
Faiz did our country proud by bringing home an award that had nominated legendary international players so it is a true honour that it was his name announced.
He’s pretty stoked he got an international trophy AND a selfie with Cristiano Ronaldo, so let’s not rain on his parade okay?
Feature Image Credit: thesun.co.uk