Chinese smartphone brand Realme launched its Realme 2 series of phones earlier today (9 October) in Jakarta, Indonesia, following the successful release of its Realme 1 series in India where it sold 1 million units in just four months.
They also unveiled the entry-level range of smartphone, Realme C1.
Josef Wang, Marketing Director of Realme Southeast Asia (SEA), shared that Realme is a “young brand” and they will “target the young generation”.
The Realme 2 is the embodiment of a product that’s powerful yet stylish through four ways: Real Needs, Real Style, Real Service, and Real Indonesia.
Firstly, to fulfil the Real Needs of their customers, their product has to have a unique design, a smarter camera, and a phone that’s pocket-friendly among others.
Secondly, the Real Style of the phone manifests in the form of a diamond-cut design with a crystal-like dewdrop back cover and a super-view notch full screen.
Next, Realme also wants to offer Real Service that provides 360° care from online to offline, pre-sale to after-sale services and includes service on LAZADA Indonesia, support through social media, and one-hour quick service support.
Finally, it’s revealed that the phones are fully manufactured in Indonesia for the local market and they’ll be building a community to serve the Indonesian market.
A quick comparison of battery lives on the Realme 2 and the Xiaomi A2 Pro shows that the former OPPO sub-brand is slightly superior to the latter brand in almost every aspect.
Realme 2 specifications:
- 6.2 in. (15cm) (1520 x 720) Notch full screen
- Screen-to-body ratio at 88.8%; length-width ratio of 19:9
- 2.05mm bezel
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor
- Choice of 3GB RAM + 32GB ROM or 4GB + 64GB
- 4230mAh battery + AI Power Manager; battery life lasts up to 44 hours
- AI-powered ColorOS 5.1
- Dual cameras (13MP + 2 MP) on the back and an 8MP camera on the front
- Back cover made of 2.5D nanoscale composite material
- Battery cover is water- and scratch-resistant; 12 layers of nanoscale sheet laminates
- Comes in three colours: Diamond Black, Diamond Blue, Diamond Red
Realme 2 Pro specifications:
- 6.3 in. (16cm) (2340 x 1080) FHD+ Dewdrop full screen
- Screen-to-body ratio at 90.8%
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 AIE processor
- Adreno 512 GPU; Qualcomm All-Ways Aware™ sensor hub and HVX, and a built-in AI engine
- Choice of 8GB RAM + 128GB ROM or 4GB + 64GB or 6GB + 64GB
- 256GB microSD card extension
- 3500mAh battery
- ColorOS 5.2 AI system
- Dual cameras (16MP + 2MP) with an aperture of f/1.7 on the back and a 16MP camera on the front with an aperture of f/2.0
- Back cover made up of sectional lamination of 13 to 15 atomic layers
- Comes in three colours: Blue Ocean, Black Sea, Ice Lake
Realme C1 specifications:
- ‘Mega Display’ 6.2 in. (15.8cm) Full HD 1080p Notch full screen
- Screen-to-body ratio up to 88%
- Outer panel made up of 12 layers of Corning Gorilla Glass and shielded nano composite materials
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor
- 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM
- ‘Mega Battery’ 4230mAh capacity; can support up to 18 hours of music playback, 15 hours of video playback, or 10 hours of gaming with Wifi connection
- ColorOS 5.1 AI system
- Dual cameras (13MP + 2MP) on the back and a 5MP camera on the front
- Comes in two colours: Black, Blue
This series of camera features come with AI abilities such as ‘AI shot beautification’ and ‘AI scene recognition’.
The phones let users unlock in three ways, the face, the fingerprint, and via Bluetooth or Wifi.
According to a statement by Josef, the launch of Realme in Indonesia and SEA marks a “new chapter for the brand to become a game changer in the global smartphone industry”.
“We define it as ‘Power Meets Style’ – Realme is focused on bridging the gap by providing products with the latest innovations along with strong performances and stylish designs,” he said.
“As Realme is targeting the global market, we aspire to inject fresh momentum into the global smartphone industry.”
To reach out and engage with their audiences, Realme has partnered with Lazada Indonesia to connect with 560 million customers.
The Realme 2 series launches exclusively on Lazada Indonesia from 16 October onwards.
Prices as follows:
- 3GB+32GB: US$131.45
- 4GB+64GB: US$157.74
Realme 2 Pro
- 4GB+64GB: US$190.60
- 6GB+64GB: US$216.89
- 8GB+128GB: US$243.18
- 2GB+16GB: US$92 (special offer on Lazada Indonesia)
In a separate interview with Josef Wang, he clarified that Realme and OPPO are two individual brands.
Realme was previously a sub-brand of OPPO and was founded by Sky Li, a former OPPO executive, on 4 May 2018 (National Youth Day of China).
He shared that as the smartphone industry is highly competitive, they see the opportunity to meet the needs of the younger generation all over SEA and that they “try to be [themselves] first, to find [their] target audience first”.
They want to make products meet the needs of their customers who range from college students to ‘first-jobbers’, he added.
When asked about the company’s entrance to Singapore, he said with the launch of Realme in Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines market, it will come to our sunny shores “very soon”.
Featured Image Credit: Realme
Check out the latest industry with the highest retrenchment rates in Singapore here.