Google unveiled its YouTube Ads Leaderboard for the first half of 2019 today, showcasing the top 10 video advertisements in Singapore from January to June.
Topping the list is “The Bucket” by Apple — directed by acclaimed by Chinese filmmaker Jia Zhangke, the Chinese New Year-themed short film explores themes like family and remembering your roots, and — perhaps more interestingly — was filmed entirely on an iPhone XS.
While the top ad might be internationally-produced, the remaining nine videos on the list are proudly made in Singapore.
From the Public Hygiene Council’s Marie Kondo-themed video on keeping hawker centres clean to the PUB’s Kinship Hari Raya short film that went viral for all the right reasons, it’s clear that narratives with a touch of local flavour are still the most effective way to win Singaporean’s hearts.
Rounding out the list is an animated ad for Singtel’s GOMO Travel SIM, and a touching/inspirational look into tests by tuition and enrichment centre The Learning Hub.
In case you were curious, here’s the leaderboard in full:
1. The Bucket by Apple
2. Merdeka Sayang by GovSingapore
3. What Happens To My CPF Savings When I Turn 55? By CPF Board
4. Kinship by PUB
5. Rise With The Tide by Republic of Singapore Navy
6. GOMO Travel SIM by Singtel
7. Tests by The Learning Hub
8. Explaining Full Subject-Based Banding by MOE
9. How To Return Your Tray with Marie Chongo by Public Hygiene Council
10. Hari Raya With #HafandHaf by GovSingapore
If you’ve got nothing to do on a Monday, the folks at Google Singapore have actually created a playlist containing all 10 ads in one convenient location. We guess we know what we’re watching on the train tonight.