[This is a sponsored article with Standard Chartered.]
In the past, we looked forward to seasonal sales in physical stores for deals and discounts. That has changed a lot over the past few years. 11.11 is just barely behind us, and we’re already looking forward to 12.12 for the next big online sale.
With 51% of Malaysians now preferring online payments instead of in-person payments, it makes sense to have a credit card that’s updated to cater to a digital-savvy crowd.
This is where the new Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card comes in. Online shoppers in particular will appreciate the cashbacks and additional discounts you get for digital purchases.
1. Get Cashback By Spending Online
With the pandemic and the current situation, online shopping is the best and safest way to get your shopping done.
Personally, I’ve been going back and forth on getting a new camera.
If you do make the purchase on online e-commerce platforms like Lazada, Zalora and Shopee using the credit card, you will be eligible for a 30% cashback (capped at RM15 a month).
If you act fast, you can maximise your shopping with discounts from big day sales like 11.11 or 12.12 and getting cashback while you’re at it. But the cashback opportunities aren’t just specific to e-commerce sites.
You can also get a 30% cashback when you top-up e-wallets such as Touch ‘n Go, Boost and Grabpay using the card too (capped at RM15 a month).
2. Get Additional Discounts On Specific Days
When shopping online, I spend a good amount of time searching around for additional voucher codes that I can use, usually with limited success.
The Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card simplifies things, all you need to do is wait for a specific day and spend it then to be eligible for a RM20 or RM30 off.
|Monday||Shopee||RM20 off with min RM150 spent via Shopee App (Use code: SCBMON)|
|Tuesday||Lazada||RM20 off with min RM150 spent via Lazada App (Use code: SCBTUE20)|
|Wednesday||Zalora||RM30 off with min RM150 spent at Zalora App (Use Code: SCBDEALS)|
|Thursday||Watsons||RM30 off with min RM150 spent at Watsons site|
|Friday||Taobao||RM20 off with min RM150 spent on Taobao App|
If I buy the camera I’ve been eyeing using the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card on Shopee on a Monday, I’ll be eligible for a RM20 discount, plus a RM15 cashback.
3. Get Discounts And Cashback When You Get Food Online
Although many of us have been toying at being chefs throughout the work from home period, food deliveries have also become a norm.
Restaurants have estimated that their current revenue is now divided into 20% dine-ins/takeaways and 80% food delivery apps. Pre-MCO, this ratio was reversed, so it’s clear that many of us have transitioned into online orders.
If you’ve been hankering for non home-cooked food, you can also utilise the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card to get discounts and cashback when you order food from dahmakan, DeliverEat, Domino’s Pizza, foodpanda and Hungry2u.com.
Here’s a quick table on what you can get:
|Service||Cashback + Discount|
|dahmakan||• Get 30% cashback with min RM50 spent |
• 30% off total bill for new users only (Use code: DAHSCB30)
• 15% off total bill for existing users (Use code: DAHSCB15)
|DeliverEat||• 30% cashback with min RM50 spent|
|Domino’s Pizza||• 30% cashback with min RM50 spent|
• Special deal – RM55 for 1 Large Pizza (extra cheese) + 1 Regular Pizza (extra cheese) + 1 Bread side + 1 Crazy Chicken Crunchies (Original / Tom Yam) + 1 Bottle Drink (Use code: PSCB55)
|foodpanda||• 30% cashback with min RM50 spent|
• 50% off for new users, capped at RM10 (Use code: HELLOPANDA)
|Hungry2u.com||• 30% cashback with min RM50 spent|
• RM5 cashback per month
4. Get Cashback From Your Entertainment
As someone who spends on subscription platforms and games monthly, having this card will also entitle me to up to 6% cashback per month (capped at RM20) on several subscription or gaming platforms.
You will need to spend more than RM1,000 a month on retail purchases to be eligible for the cashback from Netflix, Spotify, Astro, Steam, PlayStation, Joox and iQIYI.
You also don’t have to use all the platforms to get the cashback.
But during months where there are a lot of game launches, it makes sense to use the card to buy upcoming games.
5. Get Extra Cash For Other Spending With 0% Interest Rate
If you do shop somewhere that doesn’t accept credit cards, you can still use the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card to your advantage by getting a Cheque-On-Call Plus that can provide you with cash up to RM15,000 with 0% interest rate, plus RM100 cashback when you apply before December 31, 2020.
This is particularly useful for high-value purchases that give an additional discount if you pay in cash.
- For more info on the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card, click here. Do note that as per a normal credit card, there are some eligibility checks and you’ll need to have at least a minimum income of RM36,000 per annum.
- There is also an annual fee of RM120 for the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card. However, the first year is waived and subsequent years are waived with annual spend of RM12,000.
- Read more on what we’ve written previously about Standard Chartered here.
Featured Image Credit: Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels