Update: We have reached out to AirAsia regarding your questions and here are their answers.
The WPUA can be utilised by all students and members of staff from the 20 IPTA listed in the MoA.
No, IPTA staff and students that are planning to use WPUA flights have to book through appointed representatives from the respective IPTAs’ Administrative offices which will be routed to AirAsia’s authorized travel agents.
WPUA booking must be made through appointed representative (PTJ) in the respective IPTA who will then book the flights with appointed Travel Agents by AirAsia.
WPUA is specially designed by AirAsia with the lowest cost in mind, to allow members of government agencies, statutory bodies including public universities to travel and perform their duties to the public efficiently without excessive costs.We are always looking for opportunity and ways on how we can offer our products and services at the lowest fares possible to other market segments. We will update about any future collaborations with other market segments.
WPUA can be utilised by students and staff from the 20 IPTAs effective immediately.
Update: We have reached out to AirAsia with all of your concerns and we are currently waiting for clarification from them. Here’s their response:
AirAsia Berhad yesterday signed a memorandum of agreement with 20 public universities to allow more than 65,000 staffs and undergraduates to enjoy the benefits of the Waran Perjalanan Udara Awam (WPUA) programme. The programme was first introduced last year to allow civil servants to travel affordably.
AirAsia chief executive officer Aireen Omar said the wide destination network from the company allows those affected to have more opportunities to travel.
“AirAsia has the widest domestic network, connecting not just both Peninsular and East Malaysia, but also intra-East Malaysia; easing travel plans for students and staff of the public universities. Apart from that, our wide destination network across 20 countries will also provide all of them the opportunity to travel more as well,” she said, adding that this special programme is also benefiting the members of government bodies as well as statutory bodies in the country.[caption id="attachment_167601" align="aligncenter" width="550"] Image Credit: Selangorku[/caption]
Those who wish to enjoy the benefits under WPUA programme should arrange their trips with appointed travel agents only.
Also Read: “Mum, Dad, I’ve Decided To Quit My Master’s”
- Guests are covered by the Tune Insurance AirAsia Travel Protection plan
- Cheaper flights
- Flexible bookings and flight change (no flight transfer cost incurred for maximum of two flight changes)
- Baggage allocation up to 40 kg
- In-flight meals
- Seat selection options
- Service counter fees waived
20 public universities involved
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangasa Malaysia (UIAM)
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT)
- Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM)
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTeM)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP)
- Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UniSZA)
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan (UMK), and
- Univesiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (UPNM)