Imagine with a touch of a button, you can analyze food, plants, medications and possibly human’s thoughts (I’m kidding! Or am I?) for that is exactly what the world’s first molecular sensor, SCiO, promises. Shaped like the size of a portable mini thumbdrive, SCiO which is featured and already fully funded on Kickstarter has gained a large following, as it offers to “get instant relevant information about the chemical make-up of just about anything around you, sent directly to your smartphone”.
Sounds unbelievable? Well, this device has already been covered in a variety of news ranging from Times, BBC News and TechCrunch. For example, you can:
- Get nutritional facts about different kinds of food: salad dressings, sauces, fruits, cheeses, and much more.
- See how ripe an Avocado is, through the peel!
- Find out the quality of your cooking oil.
- Know the well being of your plants.
- Analyze soil or hydroponic solutions.
- Authenticate medications or supplements.
- Upload and tag the spectrum of any material on Earth to our database. Even yourself!
As a self-diagnosed hypochondriac, I cannot stress how important this means to me. No more worries about the stuff I am consuming or face anxiety attacks about my surroundings, SCiO will be able to detect them all!
Watch this video below that shows you the workings of a SCiO’s prototype:
In my opinion, SCiO is truly an amazing technological product that is one to watch out for, the only thing that bugs me is its name. Is it pronounce as in “SCi-O” (as in Psycho?) or “skee-oh”? Nonetheless, if you are interested to find out more about how this product work in the nitty gritty details, you may head over to their site over here.
Also, for those health conscious people, you might be happy to know that the SCiO has been funded and you can now place an order for the item.