This year has proven to be an extremely tough one for job seekers, especially graduates fresh out of polytechnics or universities.
However, not all hopes are lost as there are many SGUnitedTraineeships specifically targeted towards fresh graduates, internships and some entry-level roles available offered by companies like tech giants and government agencies.
While the economy recovers, fresh graduates can take this chance to gain work experience and grow their skillsets.
That said, we’ve compiled a list of 12 companies in Singapore that are hiring fresh graduates right now:
Shopee is a Singaporean e-commerce platform headquartered under Sea Group (previously known as Garena). It is also one of the fastest growing online platforms in Southeast Asia.
They have a project-driven and collaborative work culture at Shopee, which means you get to propose and push forward with initiatives you think will move the business forward.
They are currently hiring for entry-level positions.
Some open positions at Shopee:
- Cross Border Ecommerce – Regional Operations (Payment)
- Business Development – Special Projects
- Software Engineer – Backend/Server (Cloud Product)
- Business Development – Merchant Acquisition
- ShopeePay Merchant Acquisition
- Database Engineer (Fresh Grad)
Bytedance is the parent company of widely popular Chinese social media app TikTok.
Besides TikTok, their portfolio of applications and content platforms, which includes Helo, Vigo Video, Douyin, and Huoshan, are available in over 150 markets and 75 languages.
They are currently calling for applications for their 2021 Summer Internship and Fresh Graduate programmes. The application period closes on 30 November, and interviews will start in early October.
If you are not looking for internships, they also have jobs for fresh graduates across a range of disciplines.
Some open positions at Bytedance:
- Site Reliability Engineer Intern (Video Infrastructure)
- Software Engineer Intern (eHR)
- Content Strategist Intern (English)
- Research Engineer (NLP)
- Machine Learning Engineer (Recommendation)
- User Operation Specialist (Content Product & Operation)
3. Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA)
Defence Science and Technology Agency is a statutory board under the Ministry of Defence (Mindef).
DSTA is responsible for performing acquisitions management, systems management, systems development for the Mindef and the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).
They are offering traineeships across different disciplines, from corporate communications to software engineering. These are full-time positions and would give you the opportunity to learn the ropes in a stat board.
If you are not looking for traineeships, they also have roles for fresh graduates across engineering, enterprise IT and cybersecurity.
Some open positions at DSTA:
- Corporate Communications Trainee
- Business Analyst Trainee
- Business Partnerships Trainee
- Engineer, Building and Infrastructure
- Software Developer, Enterprise IT
4. Singapore Tourism Board (STB)
Singapore’s lead development agency for tourism is calling for applications to its Management Associate Programme for fresh graduates.
According to STB, every new graduate will be groomed under the 12-month programme to gain exposure and hone skills through hands-on assignments.
Candidates will have the opportunity to build knowledge in various areas of the tourism sector via two attachments in any of the Divisions in STB and a stint in the Singapore Visitors Centre to interact first-hand with visitors to Singapore.
Upon successful completion of the programme, they will be deployed in one of the divisions in STB to develop in-depth knowledge and expertise in a specific area.
There may also be chances of getting posted to any of their 20 regional offices around the globe, if international travel opens up by then.
Open positions at STB:
- Management Associates
KPMG in Singapore is part of a global network of professional services firms providing Audit, Tax and Advisory services.
In the ASEAN region, KPMG member firms operate across all 10 countries.
They are looking for six-month trainees across different departments such as Finance Operations & Technology, Corporate Tax & Compliance, Personal Tax and Data & Analytics.
Some open positions at KPMG:
- Audit Associate, Middle Markets (6 months)
- Financial Services Advisory, Actuarial, Graduate Associate 2020
- Governance & Risk, Forensic, Analyst, Trainee (6 months)
- Business and Corporate Services Outsourcing (Finance), Associate/Trainee (6 months)
- Research & Development (Tax), Associate/Trainee (6-months)
- Cyber – Digital Trust, Trainee (6 months)
6. Enterprise Singapore (ESG)
A variety of roles for fresh graduates and graduates with two years of experience are available. Here are some of the divisions you may be allocated to:
- Enterprise Development
- Global Markets
- Programme & Policy Development
- Business Ecosystem-building
- Standards & Quality Assurance
Associates will have the opportunity to work in ESG, in Singapore enterprises, in Trade Associations & Chambers, or in other partner organisations.
Some open positions at ESG:
- Associates, Demand Planning Unit (2-year contract)
- Associate (SEEDS Capital)
- Associate, Enquiry Mailbox (ESG Call Centre) (2-year contract)
- Associates, Data Insights Unit (2-year contract)
- Associate, Young Talent
- Associate, Digital Business Analyst (2-year contract)
7. Schaeffler (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
Schaeffler is a global technology company that connects engineering and development hubs worldwide, with around 86,600 employees.
They are hiring interns and trainees for up to 12 months across software engineering, product design, demand management, machine learning, design thinking and so on.
Some open positions at Schaeffler:
- Regional Controlling and Project Trainee (6 months)
- HR Trainee (Up to 6 months)
- Front End Developer Trainee (Up to 6 months)
- Design Thinking Trainee (Up to 12 months)
- Machine Learning Trainee (12 months)
- Industrial Product Design Trainee (Up to 12 months)
Singapore’s leading telecommunications provider Singtel is currently hiring for entry-level roles as well as interns.
The available positions range across various departments including finance, customer lifecycle management, sales development, marketing technology and data management, and so on.
Some open positions at Singtel:
- Finance Associate (Finance Operations) Trainee
- Digital Executive (12 months)
- mRemit Sales Development Executive (12 months)
- CLM Associate (12 months)
- Business Continuity & Risk Governance Specialist (12 months)
- Customer Experience Executive (12 months)
9. Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
The Monetary Authority of Singapore is Singapore’s central bank and financial regulatory authority.
It administers the various statutes pertaining to money, banking, insurance, securities and the financial sector in general, as well as currency issuance.
They are hiring trainees across multiple disciplines ranging from policy to international relations to social media marketing.
Some open positions at MAS:
- System / Business Analyst Trainee
- IT Project Trainee
- ODC-Project Management Trainee
- PD-Payments Licensing & Sup Trainee
- DEVOPs Developer Trainee
- Change Management Comms Trainee
10. Lucence Diagnostics
Lucence is a fast-growing precision oncology developing non-invasive blood tests for cancer detection and treatment selection.
They are looking to hire over 30 people to grow its business in coronavirus mass testing technology based on saliva tests.
It is also looking to hire quality management trainees for their manufacturing project for 12 months.
Open positions at Lucence Diagnostics:
- Quality Management Trainees
The National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) is a national confederation of trade unions, as well as a network of professional associations and partners across all sectors in Singapore.
They are hiring trainees across leadership, membership, economic policy, project management and more.
Some open positions at NTUC:
- Workforce Trainee
- Membership Trainee
- Leadership Trainee
- Industrial Relations Trainee
- Economic Policy Trainee
- Project Management Trainee
Launched in 2012, Lazada Group has grown to become the leading online shopping and selling destination in Southeast Asia.
Their strong performance has earned the support of key investors such as Alibaba Group and Temasek Holdings.
They are currently hiring trainees across brand marketing, category management, supply and demand, and so on.
Some open positions at Lazada:
- Redmart Grocery Category Trainee
- Brand Marketing Trainee
- Social & Affiliates Trainee
- Commercial Category Management-General Merchandise-Trainee
- Category Management – Pet Supplies Trainee
Why Traineeships And Internships Are Not A Bad Thing
The job market has been bleak and available full-time positions for fresh graduates are few and far between.
While the job market is weak, fresh grads can take up short-term traineeships and internships to tide them over for the time being while hunting for suitable job roles.
While internship stints don’t pay very well (mostly pay S$2,000 and below a month), graduates can take this opportunity to gain exposure to the working world and hone their skills.
Furthermore, they offer potential for conversion to full-time and perhaps by the time the Covid-19 pandemic is over, you may have gained some work experience and be offered a full-time role.
Featured Image Credit: HSBC / Yicai Global / Lazada / pymnts.com